What do you love that's cool to hate?
Nick Danger
2010-04-21 19:08:46 UTC
Come on fellow salmons and speak up on what you swim upstream to spawn with.

You know, those things that all the cool people love to get together
and trash talk about and feeling plenty self righteous and cool while
doing it.

As an obvious gaming example you could use Monopoly, but I can't
truthfully check mark that one as while I'm not one to parade my
hatred for the game I'm not exactly a fan either and would rather not
play it if avoidable but I still cringe when I see it treated like a
step child on the geek.

So, let me kick off this soon to fail experimental time waste...

Nickelback.
I know it's extremely fashionable to trash them as no talent sell
outs, but I love most their stuff and they are currently my band of
choice for the ipod rotation during lawn mowing.

Star Wars episodes 1,2 & 3
I've watched these 3 combined far more than the original 3. In fact,
when Phantom Menace first came out on DVD it was a weekly weekend
watch for me for months. I know, I'm supposed to throw tomatoes at
George Lucas for ruining the franchise but instead I'll continue to
label him genius in my eyes.

Next!
--
nd

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
nigglybits-digest-***@public.gmane.org
nigglybits-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Dave Vander Ark
2010-04-21 19:23:28 UTC
It's almost easier to think of things I don't like that others like.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Nick Danger <trocergian-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
(snip)
Post by Nick Danger
Star Wars episodes 1,2 & 3
I've watched these 3 combined far more than the original 3. In fact,
when Phantom Menace first came out on DVD it was a weekly weekend
watch for me for months. I know, I'm supposed to throw tomatoes at
George Lucas for ruining the franchise but instead I'll continue to
label him genius in my eyes.
Freddie Mercury sang, long before episodes 1, 2, and 3, "Jaws was
never my scene and I don't like Star Wars."

I'm with Freddie. The first three (filmed) Star Wars episodes suck.

Answering your original question is a little tougher. What do I like
that is counter to popular opinion?

How about the Dixie Chicks? They took some serious crap from Country
Music Fans a few years ago. I'm not a Country Music Fan, I simply
like what I like when it comes to music, and I like the sound of the
Dixie Chicks.

On a game-related note, I would propose that I'm a fan of the Cult of
the Old (a term I just now made up). I like older games more than
newer games. In fact, I think "engine building" is a leech sucking
the creativity out of game design. (that might be too strongly
worded, but this is the pub, so whatever).

It now looks like I've slipped back to posting that I dislike what's
popular instead of liking what's unpopular. But they're about
equivalent for purposes of this discussion. I can post my thoughts on
engine building if anyone is interested. I wrote something a few
months ago on my local list that fired a few people up...

Dave

ripcitygamer
2010-04-21 19:39:31 UTC
Post by Dave Vander Ark
I would propose that I'm a fan of the Cult of
the Old (a term I just now made up).
Yeah, I could answer the original question with "my game collection". For starters, Settlers ("cool" defined by BGG as opposed to the general populace).

Similar to Nick's answer of Nickleback, I would say Oasis. I just eat that shit up. Also, for fellow metal fans, Fear Factory.

I still like Seinfeld (I think they're currently "cool to hate", although that may have flipped back now that it's not so prevalent in syndication).

Nick Danger
2010-04-21 19:53:53 UTC
Post by ripcitygamer
Similar to Nick's answer of Nickleback, I would say Oasis. I just eat that shit up.
Also, for fellow metal fans, Fear Factory.
Isn't that kind of the case for later day Metallica too? It's like
right about the time I started liking them is when all the metal
lovers started labeling them as selling out and going commercial.
Post by ripcitygamer
I still like Seinfeld (I think they're currently "cool to hate", although that may
have flipped back now that it's not so prevalent in syndication).
Wow, if Seinfeld was ever on the cool to hate list I must have totally
slept through that. I recall the show Friends going from hip to hate,
but don't recollect that kind of fate for Seinfeld.

Shifting gears a bit, is Apple getting close to being a company that's
cool to hate? Seems Microsoft is too? I guess unless you're a Iinux
fan you're just lame. Oh, wait, it's Android that's the thing all the
cool kids are using these days, that's right!

ripcitygamer
2010-04-21 20:04:53 UTC
Post by Nick Danger
Isn't that kind of the case for later day Metallica too?
Sounds about right.
Post by Nick Danger
Shifting gears a bit, is Apple getting close to being
a company that's cool to hate?
The pulse I get these days is that it's "cool" to dis Apple and stick with Windows. As for Browsers, the "cool" index for Firefox has gone down, and it's cooler to try alternative browswers (e.g., Chrome).

Another "cool to hate" thing I love: NBA. Should've thought of that first when I saw Nick's name...

Nick Danger
2010-04-21 20:13:45 UTC
Post by ripcitygamer
Another "cool to hate" thing I love: NBA. Should've thought of that first when I saw Nick's name...
Add to that Mark Cuban.

I'm already wet with anticipation for tonight.

Jon Theys
2010-04-21 19:27:26 UTC
The Nintendo Wii.

Yeah, I'm a "gamer," and have been for the past 25-30 years or so.
But my preferred game style these days trends towards the "casual"
side of the spectrum. I can't spend 3 hours every night playing a
particular game (usually busy spending time with my family). I can't
play ultra-violent first-person shooters (because I usually have the
kids as spectators). Moreover, I don't think I *want* to do any of
that anymore.

Sure, the competition still appeals to me. I'd love to get into
something the way I was into Quake 1, Quake 2, Counter-Strike, etc.
But I can't do that and still spend time with my family. If I can
slouch on the couch, Wiimote in hand, and play New Super Mario Bros.
with my kids for 15 minutes on a random Wednesday evening, that works
for me. There is no stress, no need to "practice" and step my game
up, there's just FUN.

Now, if/when I upgrade beyond the 27" SDTV, I'm sure I'll get a 360 or
PS3, but I doubt I'll get back into hardcore multiplayer gaming like I
used to.

jason r. totten
2010-04-21 19:58:15 UTC
Post by Nick Danger
Come on fellow salmons and speak up on what you swim upstream to spawn with.
That pretty much sums up what we all do as gamers, especially dorky
ones that play games with instructions more complicated than Chutes
and Ladders.

(Do I still get to call myself one if I don't have an active group?)

I think a lot of things I do/like sort of fit this category, but I'll
go with slow service in a quiet restaurant. I *loved* the few
middle-of-nowhere places I ate when I was in Ireland a few years ago.
Sure, the meal took an extra 10-15 minutes, but it was relaxing and
pleasant. It amazes me how we've gotten hyper focused on speed being
the most important part of a dining experience.

.jason

Chris Sjoholm
2010-04-21 20:13:12 UTC
I enjoy Southern Gospel music. Nickelback? Oasis? You guys are way too
cool for me. I listen more to classical music than anything else, though.
Sorry if that's almost mainstream.

Trivial Pursuit's fun in the right setting - played it once this month.

I'm taking organ lessons.

My wife and I are watching "A Touch of Frost", a 1990's vintage British
crime show. Not a cell phone in sight, and very light on the computers.

-- Chris

ripcitygamer
2010-04-21 20:21:08 UTC
Post by Chris Sjoholm
Southern Gospel music
classical music
organ lessons
"A Touch of Frost", a 1990's vintage British crime show.
You're confusing "cool to hate" (which in itself can be kinda cool) with "uncool". Not cool.