One for us old folks
Nick Danger
2010-05-25 15:45:10 UTC
A musical FYI for anyone interested...

I've been really enjoying listening to the new remastered Exile on
Main Street released recently and highly recommend to anyone that was
a fan of the original. I really hadn't thought of Exile in many
years and it's probably been at least a good 30 since I've last
listened to it. It's a time machine in a jewel case (or iPod as the
case may be). Good stuff.

And that has been your guerrilla music review for 2010.
--
nd

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
nigglybits-digest-***@public.gmane.org
nigglybits-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Dave Vander Ark
2010-05-25 23:31:31 UTC
Interesting. My copy of Exile came from a thrift store and iTunes couldn't
read two or three tracks. I might have to invest in a copy of the
remastered.

I have been buying a lot of CDs used through Amazon marketplace. Usually I
can find the CD I want for around 5 bucks including shipping. Remastered
CDs are a bit more expensive usually. I've only had one track that iTunes
couldn't read in 25 or so CDs.

Of course, one of these days I'll probably need to open up my own Amazon
marketplace business to get rid of all of the CDs piling up in my basement.

Dave

Bobby Warren

Nick Danger
2010-05-26 12:50:16 UTC
Post by Bobby Warren
One CD I really enjoyed lately was Cheap Trick doing Sgt. Pepper, complete
and live. It was most awesome.
If I come across it I'll have to be sure to give it a listen. I'd be
surprised if it hit a chord with me as it has quite a few strikes
against it. I recall hearing about it when it first came out and
dismissed it as I'm not a big Cheap Trick fan. Don't hate them, and
find their hits easy enough to listen to but if I'm channel surfing
and come across something of theirs I'll just keep moving on. The
Beatles are hit and miss with me with my likes trending towards the
Lennon stuff and away from McCartney's. On top of that I'm generally
not too fond of covers, and very rarely enjoy them better than the
original. Topping it off, live recordings. Give me a studio cut over a
live cut 95% of the time.

At least I'd be going into it with very low expectations!

yatcher

Icarus
2010-05-26 13:54:48 UTC
Post by yatcher
Or you could just sign up for www.swapacd.com, where you can get CDs for
50 cents each.
Tami, have you used this service? It seems like a great setup. If I
understand it correctly though, you can only get one CD for every CD someone
gets from you. So, I'm curious how quickly one might expect to have some
CDs grabbed up. I'm sure it depends somewhat on what you have as well as
how many people have the same things.

I'm definitely curious to hear experiences of anyone that's tried it out

Rob

Jeff Boes
2010-05-26 15:15:15 UTC
Post by Icarus
Post by yatcher
Or you could just sign up for www.swapacd.com, where you can get CDs for
50 cents each.
I'm definitely curious to hear experiences of anyone that's tried it out
I've been a member of the sister service "PaperBackSwap.com"; I've
exchanged 30+ books this way. The book swap arrangement doesn't charge
for each transaction (just postage).

yatcher
2010-05-27 19:27:54 UTC
I've been a member of swapacd.com, swapadvd.com, and paperbackswap.com for nearly 3 years. I use PBS far and away more frequently than either of the other two services, but I love them.

They have been recognized by a couple of groups as good services, but I can't think of the organizations that have mentioned them off the top of my head.

When you first sign up, you list 10 CDs (or books or DVDs) that you're willing to send out. This will get you 2 credits to start with, then you get more when you mail out stuff. If you put me down (tamiami) as the referring member, I'll get a credit for referring you, which I'll then pass on to you. You can also buy credits, either directly from the club or from the marketplace, where you can often get the credits for quite a bit cheaper.

There are waiting lists for some books/CDs/DVDs, and sometimes the waits can be quite long. Since I don't use the CD and DVD services as much, I can't tell you how long the wait is, but I can tell you that on the book side, there are some really rare books that I've been waiting for since the day I signed up, and those have started to trickle into the club. (Of course, this is referring to books that I haven't been able to find in bookstores or online at powell's, etc.)

Jeff- you should look me up on the PBS site!

Tami